Wednesday, March 9, 2011

RECIPE: Homemade Spaghetti Sauce (RAGU COPYCAT)

Remember a few weeks back when I posted about the Braised Beef & Tortellini (Olive Garden's Copycat recipe) I found. If you don't remember, check it out HERE.
Well ever since I have been on the hunt for recipes of stuff we LOVE that I can make homemade. Well spaghetti sauce is something I use all the time. I have several recipes that call for it, as well as I use it as pizza sauce in a bind. Our family has always been more fond of Ragu then any other.
So I went on a little Google search and found this recipe
I did tweak it a bit, but I have to say, my family couldn't even tell the difference. It tasted so much like Ragu, it wasn't until after we were done eating that I let them know I made it homemade. (they were definitely surprised!)
Now this gives me such a warm & cozy feeling inside, knowing full well, each & every ingredient that we are eating. And with all the stuff they put in things these days, I will definitely be looking for more homemade alternatives in the future. I will try and keep you guys updated on all the WONDERFUL recipes I find.


Sorry I forgot to take a photo of it,
so I used this one from Flickr. :)

So without further ado, the recipe (which I tweaked a bit):

COPYCAT RAGU TOMATO SAUCE

29 oz can of tomato sauce

14.5 oz can of Canned Italian Diced Tomatoes

4 oz can of sliced mushrooms

5 teas of granulated sugar

1 Tbls of olive oil

1 Tbls. each of grated Parmesan & Romano cheese.

1 teas of dried basil

1/2 teas of dried parsley

3 medium garlic cloves chopped fine
1/8 teas of black pepper

1 bay leaf



In a sauce pan combine all ingredients & simmer for 20 minutes. *Simmer on a very very low flame otherwise you will scorch your pot. Simmer uncovered or partially uncovered to help it reach the desired thickness. When stirring, do not use a aluminum spoon, use a wooden spoon.

Optional:

Add just short of a 1/4 cup finely chopped onion (I did!)
1/2 pound browned hamburger/turkey burger
(I made a half of batch with meat & half without as my kiddos don't like meat in the sauce)


Enjoy!!!





Makes 3 cups of sauce

















5 comments:

  1. You make me want to try this recipe! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. gotta love home made sauce!! This recipe seems yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. THANK YOU for sharing this recipe. I am new to the sauce making scene and I really botched a batch of sauce a few nights ago ... it was inedible. We ended up going out to eat it was that bad. :)

    I will be sure to try this one ... just from the ingredients it looks lots tastier than what I made.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks delicious!

    I work with AllFreeHolidayCrafts and have been trying to contact you. Please email me if there is a good way to reach you. Thanks!

    Adam Kaplan
    akaplan@primecp.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. when you say Italian Diced Tomatoes do you mean the ones with garlic, basil etc already in them?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the LOVE! I so enjoy hearing what you all have to say!