Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Kleenex Box Make Over

BEFORE
Here's my latest thrift store find. A kleenex box. Now this wooden box had a yellowish, white wash finish to it. It was priced at $1.50 at our local Salvation Army. I have kleenex boxes all over the house (my family has allergies & we use alot of tissues!) Kleenex boxes have came along way in their pretty designs, but I usually buy in bulk and don't always have control over the variety they put in the packages. These tissue boxes can be pretty expensive to buy new in the stores. Especially for decent looking ones that aren't plastic. So at $1.50 I thought this was a steal!!!

I started out by sanding down what I could with my handy, dandy Craftsman palm sander. I finished up with the hard to reach areas by hand. Then I got out some of the stain I had left from my son's dresser makerover. You can see that here.
BEFORE

First I used one of those sticky cloths to get all the sawdust off the kleenex box. Then I used Minwax Wood Finish in Red Mahogany since I had some on hand. I just brushed it on. I followed up with my Minwax Water-based Polycrylic clear satin spray paint & WHOLAH! A new, refurbished Kleenex box!
AFTER

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the LOVE! I so enjoy hearing what you all have to say!