Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Grandma's Homemade Ham Bone Soup with Dumplings


This post should have been written after Thanksgiving, but that is how far behind I am. My mom's family usually has both Ham & Turkey for Thanksgiving. Some prefer one over the other, so we do both to accommodate everyone.


My favorite is ham. It so reminds me of my Grandma Sally and how she would make Ham bone soup & dumplings with the left over ham bone & ham. I grew up on this recipe.
But you know how it never seems to be as good as when someone else makes it! Well that was me & this soup. 
After not attempting to make it for the past couple years as it never tasted as good as hers I think I FINALLY did got it right.
This was a home run with my two boys! They LOVED it & I think I will be making it for years to come.
So here is the recipe!

Ham Bone Soup & Dumplings
Ham Bone
Ham (leftover ham cut up)
3-4 Carrots (peeled and cut up into chunks)
1 Can Tomato Soup
1/2 Onion chopped
6 Potatoes (peeled and cut up into chunks)
2 Celery Stalks (cut up)
2 Tablespoons Vinegar
Bag of frozen Mixed Veggies or other fresh veggies (optional)

-Put ham bone & remaining ham meat into a large kettle. Cook with water covering the bone. Add the vinegar to the water. Simmer for several hours with cover on kettle.
-After several hours remove from heat & let cool. Skim off the fat once cooled (the fat will thicken & can be removed easily). Remove bone & any remaining meat on bone should be easy to remove. Add all to soup.
-To make soup, add tomato soup, celery, potatoes, carrots, onions & any other veggies you want.  Simmer again for an hour with cover on to cook the veggies through. Now you are ready to add the dumplings.

Dumplings:
1 1/2 Cups Flour (or more as needed)
1 tsp. Baking Powder
1 tsp. Salt
1 Egg (beaten lightly)
3/4 Cup Water (or more as needed)

-Mix flour, baking powder and salt. Add beaten egg & water to dry ingredients. Then drop by teaspoon into hot soup. Add all your dumplings then cover. Cook 10 minutes with cover on, then 10 minutes with cover off.



Enjoy!





1 comment:

  1. Yum! I might have to try this, though I would probably be the only one eating it, seeing as how my husband thinks dumplings are weird. Thanks for entering my giveaway.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the LOVE! I so enjoy hearing what you all have to say!