Friday, October 29, 2010

Cosmetic Database....Environmental Working Group

This post isn't about home decor or crafty projects. But it is about sustainability, which I am VERY PASSIONATE about.

The last few months I have been trying to find a non toxic shampoo & conditioner that will work with my hair type (Thin...not thinning, but I have a lot of it & wimpy hair when it comes to holding a style). A lot of the ones I have tried leave my hair dry & very hard to comb through after my shower. I think I FINALLY found one that I like called Yes to Carrots. I also plan to try Yes to Tomatoes which is for Limp, Fine hair. But Yes to Carrots Daily Pampering Shampoo & Yes to Carrots Pampering Hair Mud Conditioner  is doing a FABULOUS job conditioning my hair & leaving it soft & shiny. And the best part about it is I found them at Walgreen's & Hyvee. Finding products I use locally it a huge plus to me. They are also Yes to paraben free, Yes to cruelty-free testing & Yes to Dead Sea Minerals. I found them on the EWG safe list for hair care products. Oh, they also have a blog. Check it out here.


ANYWAY, on to my point. It got me thinking, as I have been researching shampoos & conditioners out there, I have been using the Environmental Working Group website on a fairly regular basis, trying to find something that is not full of chemicals. Some of you may be familiar with it. But for those of you who are not, I wanted to bring it to your attention. It is a valuable resource that I use on a weekly basis, if not more often. Here is some info about them directly from their site.

"At EWG, our team of scientists, engineers, policy experts, lawyers and computer programmers pores over government data, legal documents, scientific studies and our own laboratory tests to expose threats to your health and the environment, and to find solutions. Our research brings to light unsettling facts that you have a right to know."

Basically since nobody really is policing the beauty product industry for our best interest. EWG has taken it upon themselves not police it, but make you aware of what chemicals & toxins are in the stuff we use every day! And lets face it, these days we have to be the ones to be responsible & to look out for our family & what we use.

I have to say, I use their Skin Deep: Cosmetic Database on a weekly basis, sometimes more. I HEART the fact I can type in a product that I have here at the house, or something I saw in the store & it gives me the skinny on if it is chemically bad for me & my family. They rate things from 0-10. Zero being nothing chemically bad for you, ten being really chemically bad for you. This is a quick & easy way for me to evaluate what I want to have in my household & what I do not. They also have an option that you can just search for all the products that have a low score. So you can see brands that are OK for your family to use. You can check out hair products, baby products, nail products, makeup products, skin products, oral care, & they have a tab or Other misc stuff that isn't covered in the above categories.

They also have a slew of other resources. Here are a few that I use often as well:

So those are just a few of the resources they have to offer. Their website is FULL of information, articles, etc. Go check it out this VALUABLE RESOURCE today. You can also follow them on Facebook, Twitter, You Tube, & RSS feeds, as well as sign up for email newsletters.

Enjoy & Happy Reading!!!



*Just FYI...I am not being compensated for my honest review. All thoughts, ideas & opinions expressed are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the LOVE! I so enjoy hearing what you all have to say!