Thursday, November 11, 2010

Special Rice Krispie Treats...a Halloween Candy Experiment

This is a recipe that is a bit different than the traditional Rice Krispie treats. I modified it a bit because after our school's community Halloween party, my son came home with this.



A marshmallow pickled Frankenstein head (Basically a HUGE peep...you know the little yellow birds that come out at Easter on all the candy aisles at the stores AKA a marshmallow bird covered in colored sugar).
He won it after getting 3rd place for the "Scariest Costume" in the costume contest. He was Frankenstein. His costume I threw together that morning in like 15 minutes. It was literally All the time I had because I was getting ready to go decorate for the Halloween party, since I am on the committee. He had changed his mind at the last minute & was begging to go as Frankenstein!
Well I guess my 15 minute quick throw together costume was worth it, as he placed!
Anyway, thankfully he didn't want to eat the Marshmallow head (which I was happy about), although my youngest son did! He wanted to save it forever, as a Halloween decoration. I had to explain to him that it was food & food would eventually get rotten. So I convinced him we would use it to make "Halloween" Rice Krispie treats which he loves.

So here's the recipe:
6 cups Rice Krispies Cereal
3 Tbsp Butter or Margarine
1/2 package (10oz size) Marshmallows
1 Pickled Monster Head (from Walmart)

I followed the same directions on the original recipe.
1. In a microwave safe bowl, heat margarine, marshmallows & Monster head on HIGH for 3 minutes, stirring after 2 minutes. Stir until smooth.
2. Add the Rice Krispie Cereal. Stir until well coated.
3. Using a butter spatula or waxed paper, press mixture evenly into a 13 x 9 x 2 inch pan coated with cooking spray.
4. Let cool & cut into squares.




Other than the fact that they had a slight green & black tint to them, they were just as delicious as always! In fact several people that tried them thought they tasted sort of like Lucky Charms.

Enjoy!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the LOVE! I so enjoy hearing what you all have to say!