Friday, February 11, 2011

Recycled Crayon Hearts for Valentine's Day

This project is really EASY & really THRIFTY!
My kids really enjoy this project. We have made these crayons several times before. They love creating different color combinations and love seeing the end result.

Supplies you will need to get started:
Old Crayons
Muffin Tin/Silicone Mold (any shape or size)
*My heart shape molds came from the Dollar Tree.
Almost every holiday they have them in the coordinating shapes for that season.
I have had the heart molds for a few years now.

This gallon Ziploc bag came from the Salvation Army on one of my Thrift Store outings. 30 cents for this entire bag was a great deal in my book.


You need to peel all the wrappers off the crayons. (This is the time consuming part!)
Then just break them into pieces. If you break a full size crayon in 4 pieces this is the best size to work with but obviously any size will work.
Bake them for about 8 minutes (or until they loose their shape) in a 300' oven.
I put the molds onto a aluminum foil lined cookie sheet just to prevent spills.

Let them cool on the counter for about 15 minutes and then put them in the freezer for another 15-20 minutes until hardened. Then just pop them out.  

Put them in cello bags or package them together with some coloring books for a cute gift.
We are just giving each child one in my son's class for a Valentines day favor.
It cost me next to nothing to make, they kids got to make them themselves & in my opinion they are so much better than all that CANDY they get!

Enjoy!!!


1 comment:

  1. Hey! if you want to avoid peeling the wrapping off each crayon, just soak the crayons in water and watch the peel come off easily!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the LOVE! I so enjoy hearing what you all have to say!